Today is the day that Britney Spears‘ long-awaited announcement is made as her website’s 30 day countdown comes to an end.
The pop icon is set to appear on Good Morning America in a matter of minutes to make the official announcement of her Las Vegas residency, but the cat has been let out of the bag already.
Ticketmaster have officially released 16 dates for ‘Britney Spears – Piece Of Me‘ at the Planet Hollywood hotel, with the first show taking place on December 27. According to the site, the presale for tickets will begin TODAY following the GMA announcement.
Tickets will then be made available for the general public this Friday, Sept. 17, from 5AM PDT until 10AM PDT. Four VIP packages have been listed, including signed t-shirts, VIP seating and a major meet and greet opportunity with the superstar.
The ‘Work Bitch‘ singer will appear on Good Morning America shortly for a “candid interview followed by a major announcement” live from Las Vegas. There’s still no word on a performance, but it would be the perfect way to announce the showgirl stint so hopefully she will perform.
Live updates below….
UPDATE: There are currently 1300 people standing in the middle of the Nevada desert wearing “Britney – Piece Of Me” t-shirts – and a few dressed up as schoolgirls, of course. A surprise performance looks unlikely as there is no stage set up where the fans are.
UPDATE: The “candid interview” is pre-recorded and was filmed earlier this morning. Britney will make the official announcement in the Nevada desert – she is making her way there right now via helicopter (below).
UPDATE: #PlanetBritney is trending worldwide on Twitter.
UPDATE: The interview has begun!
- Britney will perform 40 dates per year during the 2-year residency at Vegas’ Planet Hollywood hotel.
- The shows will be a “hybrid of nightclub and theatre”.
- She will perform the greatest hits but will include new material to keep things fresh and exciting.
- She wrote a lot about her break-up with ex-fiancée Jason Trawick during writing sessions for her eighth album.
- Her first kiss was Justin Timberlake – aww!
- Her favourite song is ‘Toxic‘, of course.
UPDATE: The fans at the desert held cue cards making up Britney’s residency promo shot.
UPDATE: Tickets are priced between $59 and $179. Fan package is $500 and Meet & Greet package is $1500. The old-fashioned theatre is being renovated and will open again on the night of the first show. The theatre will seat 4000 people, giving the shows a more intimate feel.
UPDATE: Britney has arrived at the interview in all-black and wearing sunglasses at 4AM on a dark desert. Iconic.
- Britney just revealed her eighth studio album will be released on December 3(!!!).
- She has name-dropped the Sia-penned ballad ‘Perfume‘ as her favourite cut from the album. Perhaps she’s hinting at the second single.
UPDATE: In what could be Britney’s greatest tweet of all time, the ‘Work Bitch‘ songstress tweeted about her helicopter experience. She never has enjoyed flying.
Full interview, below!